Rotary Institute 101
FAQs for Emerging Rotary Leaders (ERLs)
2015 Rotary Institute on the Big Island of Hawaii (Hilton Waikoloa Village)
What are the dates of the 2015 Institute and when is the program for the Emerging Rotary Leaders?
- The Emerging Rotary Leaders (ERL) program begins Thursday morning October 29th. Additional breakout sessions will be planned during the Institute. ERL’s will engage in most of the Rotary Institute proceedings.
- The Rotary Institute begins Thursday night October 29th and ends around noon on Sunday, November 1st.
- A special Luau event will be held Thursday night to present the 2016-17 District Governor’s and their partners. This is an exclusive event for Institute attendees, ERL’s and DRL’s. No other tickets will be available for sale.
- ERL’s will engage and participate in all Institute General sessions and most breakout and discussion groups.
What exactly is a Rotary Institute and what will it do for me?
- One of the shortest and simplest ways to describe the Rotary Institute is to say it’s like a mini International Convention.
- It’s filled with incredible speakers, stimulating small group breakouts, fellowship, and invaluable training & inspiration.
- The ‘House of Friendship’ highlights many of the service areas in which you can become involved and where you can “Connect for Good”.
- An opportunity to meet and talk with a number of Rotary Leaders – some from around the world.
- It will provide you with information and insights that are not available in another format.
When should I arrive and depart from Hawaii?
- You should check in at the Hilton Waikoloa Hotel no later than Wednesday October 28th, 2015. Your program officially begins Thursday morning, but a no host welcome reception will be held Wednesday evening.
- Optional host hospitality and tours are available on Wednesday. If you have an interest, we suggest arriving on Tuesday. Details of these events will be provided at a later date or can be found on the Rotary Zones 25/26 website.
- We recommend that all attendees consider staying until Monday, November 2 so that you do not miss Sunday’s program.
- If you wish to come early or stay late for vacation, the hotel offers the Rotary discounted room rates from October 18th to November 7th, 2015.
Who pays for the Institute registration/meal package and my transportation and hotel?
Different districts have different policies regarding the financial support of the ERLs. Please talk to your DGE or DG to determine how your district supports the ERL program
What are the costs of an Institute? How can I register for the Institute?
- The ERL Program has three costs:
- The event (Institute) registration (you will have received an e-mail directing you to a registration page in your name.)
- The Institute Meal package (Thursday night through Sunday Brunch).
- The ERL/DRL meal supplement plan (Wednesday reception; Thursday lunch; Friday night dinner with the District Resource Leaders).
- There is no added cost for the ERL program. It is part of your Institute registration fee.
- You will also need to make hotel reservations now at the Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort. (See below to secure your reservations)
- You will also need to make airline reservations. The Kona International Airport (KOA) on the Big Island is the closest to the Hotel. United, Hawaiian and Alaska airlines service most West Coast Airports. A number of flights travel non-stop to Kona, and many others route through Honolulu en route to Kona.
- There are a number of host hospitality tour events for which you may want to register, at your own expense. These start on Wednesday October 28th.
- Friday night dinner: The Emerging Rotary Leaders (ERLs) and the District Resource Leaders (DRLs) for Membership and Vocational Service will have dinner together on Friday night. This is the night when the Past District Governors get together with their classes for Class Reunion Dinners.
Is my spouse/partner invited to join the ERL program?
Spouse/partners are encouraged to attend the sessions that are being designed specifically for both the ERL participants and partners. The program is still being finalized but there will be session(s) that will include senior Rotary leaders and your partner is invited and encouraged to attend these particular sessions. They are welcome to, but not expected to attend the more formalized ERL sessions. Once the program is finalized, we will identify the sessions that we would encourage partners to attend.
When should I register for the hotel (Hilton Waikoloa Village)? Is the cost of the hotel part of the Institute registrations?
- The cost of the hotel is a separate cost from the Institute. The hotel is accepting reservations right now.
- Go to www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com or call 1 (808) 886-1234 to register. You are with the Rotary Group (the Group ID is ROT).
- If you wish to come early or stay late for vacation, the hotel will offer the Rotary discounted special room rates from October 18th to November 7th, 2015
- Here are the special rates we have arranged for you.
Resort View – $155 single/double occupancy + tax
Ocean View – $179 single/double occupancy + tax
Deluxe Ocean View – $219 single/double occupancy + tax
Discounted resort fee of $10 per day includes high speed internet access, local and toll-free calls, fun activities including hula lessons, lei making lessons and ukulele lessons, and more.
Can special dietary needs be accommodated?
Yes, when you register for the Institute meal package.
What are the Host Events and tours for which I could register? When/how do I register for them?
There are many opportunities. Most will occur on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday afternoon. You, as an ERL, will not be able to avail yourself of the activities on Thursday.
As of March, these are the opportunities and tours being finalized.
|Host Event or Tour (Tent. As of March 2015)||Dates|
|Golfing at Waikoloa Beach and Kings’ Courses for 100 players||8:30 Wednesday and 1 p.m. Sunday|
|Rotary volcano Tour
(Parker Ranch, Hilo _ Rainbow Falls, Volcanoes Nat’l park, Nani Mau gardens lunch, + transportation)
|Dolphin Snorkel tour||Wednesday 10.28 and Sunday 11.1)
(Also Thursday 10.29 and Fri 10.30)
|Manta Ray Tour||Wed and Sun|
|Reception/entertainment at Kings’ shops||Friday before reunions|
|Coffee Plantation, City of Refuge tour an local Rotary fellowship
(includes transportation with narrative, all entrance fees and applicable taxes, plus a light snack)
|Sunday 1-6 p.m.|
You will be able to register and pay for these activities on the Zone 25/26 website.
Is the entire Institute casual attire, or do I need to go dressy to some events?
No Ties—Only Mai Tais. Attire will be casual throughout the 2015 Institute in Hawaii.
Attire is Hawaiian for the Thursday night Luau.
Which airport is closest to the hotel? Does the hotel offer a shuttle to and from Kona or Hilo airports?
- The Kona International airport (KOA) at Keahole is the closest to the Institute hotel. It is a little less than a half hour from the hotel. You can also fly into the Hilo (ITO). The airport is approximately a 90 minute drive to the hotel.
- The Hilton Waikoloa Village does not have a shuttle.
- Speedishuttle picks up at the Kona International airport. http://www.speedishuttle.com/. Passengers who arrive at the Hilo airport can also contact Speedishuttle regarding the costs of a transfer to the hotel.
- Watch for more information in the summer about shuttle discounts and car rental discounts.
Tentative Schedule for Emerging Rotary Leaders (ERLs) at the 2015 Institute
Wednesday October 28th, 2015
Arrival day. Pick up your registration materials
No-host Welcome reception for ERLs, DRLs and partners
Golf and other Host Hospitality events for which you can register in April.
All day Thursday October 29th, 2015
ERL special programming
Luau and presentation of the District Governors Elect (your 2016-17 DG).
This is the official beginning of the Institute
Friday October 30th, 2015
Institute speakers and breakouts
Dinner together with the DRLs and partners
Saturday October 31st
Sunday morning November 1st
Golf and other Host Hospitality events for which you can register