Welcome to our Great Institute at a fabulous location!
Here are a few more FAQs to help you enjoy our event to the fullest. Use this Guide for an easy, portable reference to those things that aren’t located in your Program. Items are arranged in the same manner as our prior FAQs – Arriving, Enjoying, and Departing.
Baggage and handling
- Leave your luggage with the hotel luggage services team who will deliver it to your room (may take up to 45 minutes so hold onto anything you’ll need sooner).
- Pay on your own. The hotel suggests porterage of $8.00 per person.
- If you are arriving via minibus or a larger vehicle using the group lobby, this fee plus tax will be conveniently applied directly to your individual room account with no cash needed at the time.
- Of course, if you prefer, you can take your luggage with you on the tram that will transfer you to the Ocean Tower.
Check in time is 3:00 p.m.
First stop – Hotel registration. Take your time. Once you are settled in, feel free to get a warm welcome at our Institute Registration Desk located in the Convention center, in the Grand Promenade. Pick up your pre-paid Aloha Shirts at Institute Registration.
2015 Institute Registration opens at 10 a.m. Wednesday 10/28, and then is open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. through Saturday 10/31. Closed on Sunday.
2016 Institute Promotion and Registration is also in the Grand Promenade. Hours are Wednesday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and Sunday 9:00 a.m. to noon.
Treat your name tag like gold. With such a large resort and so many guests, your badge is your ticket into all Institute events. Remember that our SAAs are our friends and fellow Rotarians. Make their lives easier. Please make sure your badge is visible when entering every meal event. If you forget, you may be referred back to Registration to get a replacement or pick up a one-time meal pass.
- In addition to your badge, meals served buffet style will also require a separate meal ticket. Be sure to have your meal ticket with you for Thursday night’s luau and the closing breakfast on Sunday morning.
Navigating the Property
- Walking – The map of the facilities (that you received at hotel registration) includes routes and estimated walk times between locations.
- Tram – Ride the air conditioned tram to and from your destinations. Trams run beginning at 6:00 a.m. and depart approximately every 20 minutes or more until midnight. The capacity is 100 people. Also, special cars on the tram are equipped to be accessible to all. Typically, the tram takes about 10 minutes to transfer from the Ocean Tower to the Convention Center.
- Water taxi – is a more leisurely mode of transportation available from 2-10 p.m. It picks up passengers every 20 minutes. Small capacity. Access requires stepping on and off the dock into and out of the boat. We suggest you use the water taxi for entertainment purposes rather than general transportation.
- The hotel has only 3 golf carts that are usually reserved for emergency transport of guests who are stranded, ill, or have suffered minor injuries. If you find yourself in a situation that requires such individual transport, contact the SAAs. Wait times may be significant and this mode of transportation should not be considered as a normal option going to and from sessions.
- If you need to rent a scooter, please contact Laura Steelquist at 808-221-0126.
Our “Connecting for Good” theme has many meanings in our Rotary lives, and this Institute will have great fellowship and speakers at every session. You do not want to miss a single one. Everything is detailed in your Program.
- Opening night Thursday begins at 6:00 p.m. with a cocktail reception at the Kona Pool. Immediately following at 7:00 p.m. we move to Kamehameha Court for a full luau where we officially welcome our DGEs and their partners.
- For those who want the party to continue after the luau, the Boat Landing Cantina (Ocean Tower) and Malolo Lounge (main lobby) offer continued festivities.
- Waikoloa Coffee Company coffee shop, ground floors of Ocean and Lagoon Towers, serves coffee, juice, breakfast breads, smoothies and, on occasion, quiche. Opens at 6 a.m., but Friday, Ocean opens for us at 5:00 a.m.
- Breakfast is also at the resort’s pro-shop restaurant (King’s Grill). Opens at 7:30 a.m. Free shuttle from lower level.
- Under-counter refrigerators are in the rooms. The Island Gourmet Grocery at the Queens Market Place is a $2 shuttle from the hotel.
Other items of interest
- House of Friendship (In the Convention Center, Grand Promenade) vendors are located in the House of Friendship. Enjoy a visit with friends or browse the booths.
- Concierge Desk is also co-located with 2015 Registration. Same hours as HOF.
- For your convenience, the Institute vendor hours are expanded beyond normal HOF hours to Thu – Fri 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sat 7:00 a.m. – 3:30/4:00 p.m.
Hotel special services include
- Free High Speed Internet Access in your room with limited coverage around the resort. Your code was provided at registration.
- Discounts on Lagoon Beach Toy Rentals and Cruises through Ocean Sports
- A coin operated laundry for guest convenience on the first floor of the Ocean Tower.
- The hotel suggests a Room Attendant Gratuity of $2.50 per day. This is optional and at your discretion based on your satisfaction with the service provided.
Optional activities before, during, and after
- Don’t miss the mile-long museum walkway.
- Swim with the Dolphins or take advantage of other tours and activities. Just check with the concierge for times, prices, and reservations.
- Check out the hotel website at www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com to see all the incredible activities and venues that are available to us.
- Be sure to sign up for next year’s Institute which will be held in beautiful Santa Barbara.
- Check out the Orchid Marketplace (located next to the Kona Pool) to buy Grab ‘n Go Snacks, deli-style sandwiches, Paninis, and more.
Check out time is 12:00 noon and luggage storage is offered by the hotel.
Transportation to airports
- Shuttle option
- SpeediShuttle will be happy to return us to our air terminals in time to catch our flights. Remember pickup is a shared service. Minimum between $55-60 each. Credit cards accepted. http://www.speedishuttle.com or 877-242-5777.
- Taxi options
- Luana Concierge (AKA Laura’s Taxi) has a 6-person minivan with a flat fee of $66. What a great way to “connect” for one last laugh together. Contact 808-326-5466 or www.luanalimo.com. Between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. 808-854-6876 only. Toll free 1-800-999-4001.