What to wear during the Institute
- GETS and GNATS(Monday through Thursday): casual, and business casual for faculty
- Thursday program(DRL/ERL/DG/IPDG): business casual, which includes Rotary logo shirts
- Thursday night: Black Tie optional
- Friday Service Project work attire: Wear clothes that you do not worry about getting dirty. Be sure to sign up in the Project survey for your Friday T-shirt and pick it up at the concierge desk starting Wednesday after lunch
- Friday Class Reunion dinners and concert: Your choice
- Saturday: Business casual, which includes Rotary logo shirts
- Saturday dinner: Your Polio NID or END POLIO NOW clothing. Clothing from any country where you have done projects
- Sunday: Ready to travel home. Business casual
What is the typical weather like in Santa Barbara in November?
- The average high is 66 degrees
- The average low is 46 degrees
- Average precipitation is 1.8” in November
- The average number of days without rain is 28
Check in and departing from the Fess Parker Hotel
Check-in is 4 PM and check out 12 PM noon. Our Institute closes at 12 PM noon on Sunday, November 13th. The hotel says it cannot guarantee a late check out for the entire group, but will do their best to accommodate as many requests as possible once on-site.
Hilton Honors: The Fess Parker will provide Gold, Diamond and Elite HHonors benefits, upgrade, and late check-out—subject to availability.
You may use ECheckin Pre-Arrival app and email for check in and pick up at the HHonors Lobby Reception desk. Earned points will be credited. In other words, Gold, Diamond and Elite HHonors folks will be handled just as they would expect, like any other Hilton hotel stay.
How do you get to the hotel?
From Santa Barbara Airport
Santa Barbara Airport (SBA); located 8 miles north of the city. The iconic red-tiled roofed, Mediterranean terminal boasts mosaic tile floors and original frescos that provide the ambiance for the full “Santa Barbara Experience.” Six non-stop flights including Denver (United), Los Angeles (United), Phoenix (American Airlines), Portland (Alaska) and San Francisco (United) and Seattle (Alaska). It is approximately 15 minutes from the Fess Parker.
The Fess Parker provides complementary pick up during selected hours (5 a.m.-9 p.m.) Call Guest Services 30 minutes prior to arrival (805) 564-4333.
Taxi’s pick up at SBA. Approximate cost to hotel is $35. A Taxi from LAX will cost around $65
Santa Barbara Airbus can pick up at LAX. Can accommodate virtually any size group, including individuals. $46-$50 for an individual. Currently 8 shuttles per day. https://www.sbairbus.com/page/display/laxshuttle.
http://www.sbairbus.com (805) 964-7759
From the Santa Barbara Amtrak Train station
Santa Barbara lies along the West Coast Amtrak route. The train station is conveniently located in downtown Santa Barbara, an easy walk, or 50-cents shuttle ride from many downtown attractions. The Coast Starlight and Pacific Surfliner both take you to Santa Barbara. Fess Parker provides complementary pick up. Same schedule and process as pick up at the Santa Barbara Airport.
- Both Avis and National have rental desks at the Airport and National has a desk at the hotel as well.
- There is a Hertz Car Rental desk at the hotel
Parking at the Fess Parker
- Parking for registered Institute guests has been discounted to $10/day for self-park and $22/day for valet parking.
- Those who are not staying in the Fess Parker hotel may receive daily validation of their parking lot self-parking ticket. They are receiving this concession of no charge, because many attendees were unable to secure a room at the Fess Parker (their first choice) The validation can be made at either the Institute or the hotel Registration desk, and is and not valid for overnight parking.
Public Transportation near the hotel
MTD’s Downtown & Waterfront Shuttles provide frequent shuttle service along busy State Street and the Waterfront area. At just 50 Cents a ride you can hop on and off to quickly get anywhere downtown. Transfers are required for connecting between the Downtown and Waterfront shuttles. As you board your first shuttle, ask the driver for a FREE shuttle transfer. Shuttle transfers are not valid on other MTD routes.
The waterfront shuttle can be picked up in front of the Fess Parker Guide for riding the bus